Fear can be paralyzing. I know it all too well, as I lived most of my life in fear. It can take hold of you and restrain you from doing the things you want to do, the things you intend to do, and the things you were made to do. God, however, makes it clear that we should be comforted by His creation of the world, His control of the world, and His plan to see each of us thrive in this world.
- In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.
God is not passive. His actions did not end with the creation of the heavens and the earth. He is committed to being with us throughout our journey.
As humans we allow fear in many cases to overcome us. This is especially true in the worst of times. God directly addresses that in these times of utter bleakness, He is not only present, but with us and supporting us. He encourages us to lean into Him and depend on His strength and not our own.
- Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
- Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand
– Isaiah 41:10
When God sent Jesus to the earth to walk among us, to be one of us, and to teach us all before saving us, He did so with a message of love. Jesus let us know that through love we can push out fear.
- There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.
—1 John 4:18
God acknowledges that His plan is greater than what we can comprehend, and He lets us know that, rather than being fearful, we can overcome this through faith in Him.
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
Finally, God calls on us to be in communion with Him through prayer.
- For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and come and pray to Me, and I will hear you. You will seek Me and find Me, when you seek Me with all your heart.
It took me 40+ years to find the courage to let go of my plans and embrace the plan God had for my life. When I finally surrendered the fear of losing control, I was able to pursue God with my whole heart. While it can be a daily battle to let go of fear, are you willing to place your trust in Him and know that God is with you?